Wednesday 23 January 2013

Day 11 ~ Being teased by snow again and I really don't want to eat salad!!!

Hey there Loverlies

TODAY IS FREEZING!!!! Yes yes it is and even snowed a little.... well pretended to anyway. The way I see it is if it doesn't settle it isn't really snow it's just pretty white rain. Yet again teased by the weather, the rest of the country is knee deep in it and we are looking as if we are in sub tropical somewhere else during rainy season (except for the cold).

Today I searched the house high and low and all that was in were 2 bags of salad. I have to admit in these lack of temperatures the last thing on my mind is a salad. So I had to get creative. For some weird reason it worked. The 2 bags of salad ended up as an amazing veggie broth soup. The colour of which was amazing. a deep magenta.

Even when I was working as a chef the only time I managed a colour like that was by an accident with a red cabbage (We will save that story for again I think). Don't you just love accidents. I do the best dishes always come out of accidents. I mean look at Bakewell Tart, an accident an amazing wonderful accident that is loved by everyone everywhere now to the point we can't even remember what it was she messed up in the first place!!!!

So anyway this soup I ended up with was incredible. Of course I added a few things to the salad, like onions and spices. All in all though it was basically what was in the bag because at the end of the day that is all we have in the house.

I am loving the fact I can have hot chocolate though. I am truly not sure I could get through this week without it. Home made Soy Milk is great for lots of things, coffee is not one of them. Also since it doesn't go well in tea and black tea is not something I have ever really picked up on except with honey. I am leaving it for the Hot Chocolate. I have seen that Almond Milk is readily available now so I might give that a go in coffee. I figure I like a bit of nuttiness in my Java so maybe this would be a good compromise.

Although you know what that means. It means that I am going to have to start making my own. Not such a bad thing I guess, except price wise. We shall see though how much they are wholesale and see if the price is comparable. Sometimes buying bulk straight from the wholesaler is the best way to go. Put a little aside each week or so and eventually you have enough to buy a big sack. then start again, or even work out what youa re going to buy in bulk and how long it will take you to get through it. Then make a rotating list and buy one large bag of whatever every week or fortnight or whenever you do your shopping. That way you cut down your outlay.

I have to admit I am looking forward to the day I don't have to worry anymore. Keeping the cupboards full has always been something that has tormented me for as long as I can remember after leaving home. Probably due to the kids. I never wanted them to go without. I figure I always thought that it didn't matter what else we didn't have as long as there was food on the table, everything else would come in time. I guess for me it was a measure of success as a parent, or even as an adult.

There have always been times when things were lean and this need to have the cupboards and freezers full became more obsessive. There have been times where the kids ate and I went without because that is what you do as a parent. So now being an adult and with only Himself's girls staying over every couple of weeks I am finding it terrifying again not having anything in the cupboards. Not as scary as it would be if they were over this weekend but scary enough. I find myself counting the days until pay day (Friday) and praying we can get through without the lights and heating going out.

If anyone tells you that things are getting better. Tell them to spend some time in the real world.

Ugh I am at it again....

I am going to stop this ranting now and go off and keep sewing my new rug cos my floor is freezing and I would like to feel my toes again really soon if that is ok

Have a fabbytastic day/evening

Until Tomorrow

xox Love and Light xox
















 

No comments:

Post a Comment